Beef Mince Wellington
A creative take on the traditional Beef Wellington, this recipe will be a hit with whole family, kids included!
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 1 medium potato, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- the leaves from 3 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180C and take the pastry out of the freezer to soften
- Put a frying pan on medium heat, add the olive oil and add the vegetables, garlic and rosemary. Gently saute everything, stirring occassionally, until the vegetables are tender and the onions are translucent (5-8 minutes).
- Transfer the vegetable mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool completely.
- Once completely cool to the touch, add in the beef mince. Thoroughly mix everything together, adding salt, pepper and half the beaten egg.
- Place 2 sheets of puff pastry end to end, pressing the joined ends together to make one long piece.
- Shape the beef & vegetable mixture into a log and place it along the pastry sheet. Brushing, the edges with the reserved egg. Roll it up, tucking the ends inside like a burrito. Brush all over with the remaining egg.
- Place on a baking sheet, seem side down.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until golden.