Thai Green Curry
A fragrant chicken curry with homemade curry paste, just bursting with flavour.
Thai Green Paste Ingredients
- 4 green chilies
- 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer leaves removed and inner stalk roughly chopped
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, or 2 tsp ginger paste
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp shimp paste
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 large bunch of fresh coriander, including stalks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg chicken breast chunks
- 4 heaped tsbp of homemade Thai Green Paste (see above)
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- To serve: boiled rice, Thai basil leaves, freshly chopped red chilies
- To make the curry paste, add the all the Thai Green Paste ingredients, except for the coriander, to the blender. Pulse until fully combined.
- Add the whole bunch of fresh coriander (stalks too) and pulse again until smooth. Scrape down the sides a couple of times to ensure it's fully combined. Put to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (skillet) over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and fry for 5-6 minutes until just cooked through. Add the curry pasta you made earlier - you need about 4 heaped tbsp. Stir and cook through for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the stock cube, stir and pour in the coconut milk. Heat through until the coconut milk is very hot but not boiling.
- Add the sugar snap peas (snow peas) and bamboo shoots and stir together. Heat through for a few more minute, stirring often until the vegetables are lightly cooked, but still crisp.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Serve over rice, topped with Thai basil and freshly chopped red chilies.